An Illustrated Compassion: Learning to Love Like God is a 12-week, no-prep. Following the success of our Illustrated Earth curriculum, we are pleased to provide you with another no-prep curriculum geared toward pre-K through 5th grade.
If you are familiar with An Illustrated Earth, there will be some similarities in the style and organization of the content. However, we received some really helpful feedback from our customers, and we are going to be making some changes that make this an even stronger curriculum choice for your community.
Illustrated Compassion Coloring Posters
In addition to the coloring sheets that will come with the curriculum, we are offering a set of FOUR posters — one large 4′ x 3′ poster that will address the overall theme of compassion, and three 2′ x 3′ posters. Each of the 2′ x 3′ posters will correspond with one of the modules with symbols and images from the four stories that are part of each module. You can see color versions of the posters below to give you an idea of what they could look like. You can order your set here.
Each week will also include a separate 8.5×11 coloring sheet that connects to the biblical story covered in the lesson.
For those who have used our curriculum before, you will notice format similarities. However; this year, we’re offering additional content. Each lesson will include an opening gathering activity (this usually involves movement), Illustrated Story Cards to retell the story together, a script version of the story you can use for acting the story out, discussion questions, a Compassion in Action opportunity to practically connect the story to your lives, coloring, and music! We believe this will provide you with all you’ll need to run a successful lesson using our curriculum.
We were also extremely excited to work with composer and musician Geoff Duffy, who wrote original music for each of the modules for our curriculum. You will love the songs!
Scope & Sequence
Here are the three modules and the Bible stories covered in this curriculum.
- Module 1 – Compassion in the Hebrew Scriptures: Many of you may have heard something like this before: “The God of the Hebrew Scriptures doesn’t feel like a very compassionate God….” And yet, the Hebrew Scriptures are filled with stories about the compassion that God has for God’s creation and humanity, and the ways in which God wants us to live compassionate lives. Our first module, Compassion in the Hebrew Scriptures shares with children those stories.
- Module 2 – Compassion in the New Testament: Module 2 is Compassion in the New Testament, and we spend time in the Gospels and see how Jesus had compassion on his disciples and followers through a variety of different methods, including healing them.
- Module 3 – Living a Compassionate Life: Finally, Module 3 is Living a Compassionate Life and will take us to a place of thinking more about the different ways God shows compassion (both in the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament) and the ways in which God’s people throughout scripture have shared compassion with others. This will then lead to a conversation that will help these children begin to think about how they can be more compassionate in the world.
You can see the complete listing of scripture passages and stories that will be included in An Illustrated Compassion below.
- Genesis 18:1-8: Abraham and Sarah’s Guests
- Exodus 1:15-21: Shiphrah and Puah’s Courage
- 2 Samuel 9:1-13: David Shows Kindness
- 2 Kings 6:8-23: The Feast that Brought Peace
- Matthew 9:35-38: Jesus’ Compassion
- Mark 10:17-27: The One Thing
- Luke 7:11-17: Compassion that Heals
- John 5:1-9: Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
- Deuteronomy 10:12-22: You Were Immigrants
- Micah 6:6-8: What is Good
- Matthew 25:31-46: Lord, When Was It?
- Luke 10:25–37: The One Who Showed Mercy
- Illustrated Compassion Coloring Posters: $45 + shipping. Get all the details here.
- An Illustrated Compassion Coloring Sheets: $10
- An Illustrated Compassion for Families: starts at $10 for individual families who are purchasing the resource, and $40 for churches who are purchasing it to provide it to their community’s families
An Illustrated Compassion’s price is based on the size of your congregation, and the prices for the full 12-week curriculum (for churches with 1-300 members) are below. You will be able to purchase individual modules as well, starting at $30/module.
Church Size & Cost:
1-300 members – $75
301-600 members – $95
601-1000 members – $115
1001+ members – $135