Coming in May, Illustrated Children’s Ministry will be offering a new, 12-week curriculum called An Illustrated Compassion: Learning to Love Like God. Following the success of our Illustrated Earth curriculum, we are pleased to provide you with another low to no-prep curriculum geared toward pre-K through 5th grade. Our team of illustrators and writers are working on this unique curriculum right now, and we will keep you updated here, as well as on social media.
If you are familiar with An Illustrated Earth, there will be some similarities in the style and organization of the content. However, we received some really helpful feedback from our customers, and we are going to be making some changes that make this an even stronger curriculum choice for your community.
An Illustrated Compassion Coloring Posters
In addition to the coloring sheets that will come with the curriculum, we will also offer a set of FOUR posters — one large 4′ x 3′ poster that will address the overall theme of compassion, and three 2′ x 3′ posters. Each of the 2′ x 3′ posters will correspond with one of the modules with symbols and images from the four stories that are part of each module. The rough sketch below gives you an idea of what they will all look like if you choose to display them together:
For the remainder of the weeks, the curriculum will include 8.5×11-inch coloring sheets.
For those who have used our curriculum before, you will notice format similarities. However; this year, we’re offering additional activities, including an activity to be completed outside. Also included: an opening gathering activity, the Illustrated Story Cards to retell the story together, the script version of the story that you can use for acting the story out, discussion questions, and additional activities. We believe this will provide you with all you’ll need to run a successful lesson using our curriculum. Since this theme is “compassion,” we’ll also incorporate service-oriented activities.
Some of the details of this are still being worked out, but we may be commissioning an original song for the curriculum. Stay tuned for more details!
Scope & Sequence
Here are the three modules and the Bible stories covered in this curriculum.
- Module 1 – Compassion in the Hebrew Scriptures: Many of you may have heard something like this before: “The God of the Hebrew Scriptures doesn’t feel like a very compassionate God….” And yet, the Hebrew Scriptures are filled with stories about the compassion that God has for God’s creation and humanity, and the ways in which God wants us to live compassionate lives. Our first module, Compassion in the Hebrew Scriptures shares with children those stories.
- Module 2 – Compassion in the New Testament: Module 2 is Compassion in the New Testament, and we spend time in the Gospels and see how Jesus had compassion on his disciples and followers through a variety of different methods, including healing them.
- Module 3 – Living a Compassionate Life: Finally, Module 3 is Living a Compassionate Life and will take us to a place of thinking more about the different ways God shows compassion (both in the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament) and the ways in which God’s people throughout scripture have shared compassion with others. This will then lead to a conversation that will help these children begin to think about how they can be more compassionate in the world.
You can see the complete listing of scripture passages and stories that will be included in An Illustrated Compassion below.
- Genesis 18:1-15: Abraham and Sarah’s Guests
- Exodus 1:15-2:10: Shiphrah and Puah’s Courage
- 2 Samuel 9:1-13: David Shows Kindness
- 2 Kings 6:8-23: The Feast that Ended the Attacks
- Matthew 9:35-38: Jesus’ Compassion
- Mark 10:17-27: The One Thing
- Luke 7:11-17: Compassion that Heals
- John 5:1-9: Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
- Deuteronomy 10:12-22: You Were Immigrants
- Micah 6:6-8: What is Good
- Matthew 25.31-46: Lord, When Was It?
- Luke 10:25–37: The One Who Showed Him Mercy
Release Dates & Pricing
We begin taking orders for An Illustrated Compassion Coloring Posters on Tuesday, April 25th, and we are working toward a goal of launching An Illustrated Compassion on Tuesday, May 9. In the next few weeks, we’ll release a sample so you can start planning how you will incorporate our curriculum and coloring posters into your program. We will post the curriculum and poster pricing in the next couple weeks.